There are no open grant solicitations at this time.
Grant Program Objectives
The Ocean Protection Council (OPC) is charged with implementing the California Ocean Protection Act (COPA) An important tool to achieve the provisions of COPA is the funding of projects and programs that target the actions identified in the OPC Strategic Plan.
In addition to consistency with COPA and the OPC strategic plan, projects that will be considered for funding by the OPC must:
- Directly relate to the ocean, coast, associated estuaries, or coastal-draining watersheds
- Have demonstrable support from the public
- Be of greater-than-local interest
- The OPC will give additional consideration to proposed projects that:
- Employ an innovative approach to solving a problem
- Improve the manner in which the state manages coastal and ocean resources
- Help resolve more than one issue
- Include a contribution of funds or services by other entities
- Are ready to implement (grantee or contractor will start and finish the project in a timely manner)
- Involve a combination of local, state, or federal agencies or that are public/private partnerships. The OPC also works directly with state agencies on funding opportunities and pursues directed projects.