Ocean Protection Council Meeting – April 24, 2023 – Teleconference and Public Forum
OPC Meeting Agenda
Monday, April 24, 2023
1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
California Natural Resources Agency Headquarters Auditorium
715 P Street, Sacramento, California 95814
OPC is committed to ensuring our public meetings are accessible and members of the public can participate by providing written and oral comment on Council matters. For public participation in OPC virtual meetings, view the instructions and see below.
1. Welcome, Introductions, and Council Member Updates
Secretary Crowfoot, Council Chair
2. Update from Executive Director
Jenn Eckerle, Executive Director
3. Update from the Science Advisor
Liz Whiteman, Ph.D., Executive Director, Ocean Science Trust
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 1: Safeguard Coastal and Marine Ecosystems and Communities in the Face of Climate Change
4. Action Item: Consideration and Approval to Disburse Funds to Create a Technical Assistance Program to Support Sea-Level Rise Adaptation Planning (Strategic Plan Objective 1.1: Build Resiliency to Sea-Level Rise, Coastal Storms, Erosion, and Flooding)
Megan Williams, Program Manager
5. Action Item: Consideration and Approval to Disburse Funds to Expand the California Coastal Adaptation Planning Inventory (Strategic Plan Objective 1.1: Build Resiliency to Sea-Level Rise, Coastal Storms, Erosion, and Flooding)
Ella McDougall, Program Manager
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 2: Advance Equity Across Ocean and Coastal Policies and Actions
6. Action Item: Consideration and Approval to Disburse Funds for OPC Equity Plan Implementation (Strategic Plan Objective 2.2: Enhance Engagement with Underserved Communities)
Maria Rodriguez, Program Manager
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 3: Enhance Coastal and Marine Biodiversity
7. Action Item: Consideration and Approval to Disburse Funds to Accelerate Kelp Research and Restoration Efforts (Strategic Plan Objective 3.2: Restore and Protect Kelp Ecosystems)
Mike Esgro, Senior Program Manager
8. Action Item: Consideration and Approval to Disburse Funds for a Statewide Groundfish Sampling Program (Strategic Plan Objective 3.3: Support Sustainable Marine Fisheries and Thriving Fish and Wildlife Populations)
Noah Ben-Aderet, Ph.D., Program Manager
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 4: Support Ocean Health Through a Sustainable Blue Economy
9. Action Item (Revised): Consideration and Approval to Disburse Funds for Offshore Wind Environmental Monitoring Guidance (Strategic Plan Objective 4.4: Guide Sustainable Renewable Energy Projects)
Yi-Hui Wang, Ph.D., Program Manager
10. Public Comment on Non-Agenda Items
11. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment
Tuesday, August 15, 2023, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; CNRA Auditorium and Zoom participation available.
Agenda items may be re-ordered at the discretion of the Council Chair.
Providing Public Comment:
Written Comments: Written comments should be sent to COPCpublic@resources.ca.gov by 12:00 p.m. on April 21, 2023. If you are writing about an item on the Council’s agenda, please include the item number in the email subject line. If you are writing with a general comment, please include a brief title for your comment.
Oral Comments: For each item on the agenda and at the end of the public meeting on non-agenda items, the OPC Chair will ask whether there are any requests for public comment. If you are participating via Zoom and want to provide oral comments on a specific agenda item, you will need to “Raise your hand” during the Zoom meeting. *If calling into the meeting from a telephone, you can use “Pound (#) 2” to raise/ lower your hand.
Once your hand is raised and it is your turn to speak, the meeting facilitator will unmute you, announce your name, and you will be able to make your public comment to the Council. *Depending on how you have called in, you may also need to unmute yourself.
A speaker’s time allotment for a specific agenda item is at the discretion of the Chair but generally limited to two minutes. It is strongly recommended, though not required, that public comments be submitted in writing beforehand so they can be distributed to all Council members for review prior to the meeting. After your public comment, your hand will be lowered and you will be placed back on mute.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to Holly Shand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any person who has a disability and requires accommodation to participate in this council meeting should contact Ms. Shand no later than five days prior to the meeting.
Due to COVID-19, it is highly recommended that a mask be worn by those attending in person.