Virtual Webinar “A Decade of Ocean Conservation – An Update on California’s Marine Protected Areas”
California Natural Resources Secretary Speaker Series
UPDATE: The recording is now available:
February 14, 2023 at 1:00 PM via Zoom
California’s 124 Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) span our state’s entire coastline to conserve tidepools, sandy beaches, submarine canyons, estuaries, and kelp forests, and to protect all life that depends on these unique places. Established 10 years ago through a science-based and community-driven process, California’s MPA Network is now among the largest, most sophisticated marine conservation efforts anywhere in the world. State agencies have recently released a comprehensive assessment of how the MPA Network performed over its first decade, revealing where MPAs are making a difference and scientific questions that remain.
Join experts and community leaders to learn more about how California’s MPA Network is working to safeguard natural and cultural resources, as well as lessons learned and next steps for adaptive management.
- Charlton H. Bonham, Director at California Department of Fish & Wildlife
- Dr. Jenifer Dugan, Associate Research Biologist, Marine Science Institute at UC Santa Barbara
- Jules Jackson, Outreach and Indigenous Engagement Coordinator at WILDCOAST
- Jen Mendez, Programs and Conservation Manager at Crystal Cove Conservancy
- Jim Webb, Recreational Fisherman, volunteer angler with the California Collaborative Fisheries Research Program