Dungeness Crab Task Force Meeting #13 – October 27-28, 2021 – Teleconference
Wednesday, October 27, 2021 at 9:00 AM
Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 9:00 AM
Call-in Option: (301) 715-8592 | ID: 251 221 9359
Meeting materials available at: www.opc.ca.gov/2009/04/dungeness-crab-task-force/
(scroll down to “DCTF Meeting #13 – October 27-28, 2021 – Virtual”)
Zoom set-up information is available here.
- Receive updates relevant to the Dungeness crab industry, follow up on previous California Dungeness Crab Task Force (DCTF) recommendations, and ensure all Members have access to information that may inform DCTF deliberations during this meeting.
- Identify and address DCTF administration, including introducing new Members, confirming the updated Charter and draft DCTF 2021-23 Work Plan, etc.
- Discuss high priority topics including, but not limited to, those related to marine life entanglements and the Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program (RAMP) including management measures, electronic monitoring and industry-led surveys. Additional priority topics may include the 96-hour gear servicing rule and fishing with a dump box.
- Identify recommendations to be forwarded via a report to the Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), and the Fish and Game Commission.
Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:00am – 4:00pm
1. Welcome, introductions, and agenda review.
2. Public comment on non-agenda items.
3. Review and confirm updated Charter and draft 2021-23 DCTF Work Plan administration and operations.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible adoption of updated Charter and 2021-23 DCTF Work Plan.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible confirmation of priority items for the Executive Committee’s consideration.
4. Receive updates and discuss California commercial Dungeness crab fishery topics including, but not limited to, the Dungeness crab account, California’s preseason quality and domoic acid testing, 2020-21 season landings, bi-weekly reporting requirements, Senate Bill 80 and timing for new Dungeness Crab fishery regulations, progress on previous DCTF recommendations, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations related to CDFW updates, which may include, but will not be limited to, requests for information, amendments to Fish and Game Code §8278, or other management measure recommendations.
5. Presentation and discussion on the marine life entanglement issue including, but not limited to, the application of the RAMP for the 2021-22 season, update on Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group discussions, status of the Conservation Plan, exploration of new management options to mitigate entanglements, industry-led monitoring surveys, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations related to marine life entanglements in the Dungeness crab fishery and related management processes.
6. Presentation from CDFW on electronic monitoring in the commercial Dungeness crab fishery as it relates to the RAMP and other mandates.
7. Updates on the Executive Committee’s discussion regarding the 96-hour gear servicing requirement and use of a dump box as standard fishing practice.
8. Review agenda topics for Day 2
Thursday, October 28, 2021 9:00am- 4:00pm
10. Welcome and recap of Day 1.
11. Public comment on non-agenda items.
12. Revisit RAMP discussions from day 1 including, but not limited to those related to electronic monitoring, industry-led surveys, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations inform CDFW’s efforts to develop an electronic monitoring program.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations related to the implementation of industry-led surveys to inform the RAMP, including, but not limited to, requests for funding, survey design suggestions, etc.
13. Revisit discussions from day 1 on items that require subsequent action including, but not limited to, the 96-hour and use of a dump box as standard fishing practice
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations related to the 96-hour gear servicing requirement and the legal use of a dump box as standard fishing practice.
14. Review next steps
*Agenda items and related action items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the DCTF Administrative Team. Every effort will be made to address all items on the agenda. However, the DCTF may postpone certain discussions or actions due to time limitations or the need to revisit topics with their constituents before moving an item forward.
Public Participation and Comment: Members of the public will be invited to provide comment following each agenda item. Additional information about providing public comment is available online. To request an item to be added to a future meeting agenda, please review the guidelines online.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to email@example.com or 805-845-9852. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this DCTF meeting should contact Rachelle Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-845-9852) no later than five days prior to the meeting.
For more information about the DCTF and a meeting summary please visit the DCTF website.