Dungeness Crab Task Force Meeting #11 – October 21 and 22 – Conference Call
Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 9:00 AM
Thursday, October 22, 2020 at 9:00 AM
Join WebEx: http://bit.ly/DCTFMeetingOctober2020 | Meeting #: 126 050 0402 | Password: DCTFMeeting
Call-in option: (415) 655-0001 | Meeting #: 126 050 0402 | Password: 32836338
Meeting materials available at: www.opc.ca.gov/2009/04/dungeness-crab-task-force/
(scroll down to “DCTF Meeting #11 – October 21-22, 2020 – Teleconference”)
WebEx set-up information is available here.
- Receive updates relevant to the Dungeness crab industry and ensure all Members have access to information that may inform DCTF deliberations during this meeting.
- Discuss high priority topics including, but not limited to, marine life entanglements, Tri-state issues, the Dungeness crab trap limit program, and other topics identified by the DCTF Executive Committee.
- Identify recommendations to be forwarded via a report to the Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), and the Fish and Game Commission.
Wednesday, October 21, 2020 9:00am – 4:00pm
1. Welcome, introductions, and agenda review.
2. Public comment on non-agenda items.
3. Confirm the DCTF Charter and 2019-2021 with new members.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible confirmation of the DCTF Charter (updated October 2020).
4. Receive updates and discuss Tri-state and California commercial Dungeness crab fishery topics including, but not limited to, Dungeness crab trap tag account, DCTF facilitation contract, lost fishing gear recovery program, California’s preseason quality testing standards, domoic acid Biotoxin Management Areas, Oregon/Washington line marking, disaster relief funds used for research, Senate Bill 1128, etc.
5. Presentation and discussion on the marine life entanglement issue including, but not limited to, the proposed RAMP regulations, how the proposed RAMP regulations will apply to the commercial Dungeness crab fishery during the 2020-21 season, how the proposed RAMP regulations relate to parallel entanglement mitigation efforts, updates on gear innovations testing, update on Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group discussions, electronic monitoring, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations related to marine life entanglements in the Dungeness crab fishery and related management processes.
6. Review agenda topics for Day 2
Thursday, October 22, 2020 9:00am- 4:00pm
8. Welcome and recap of Day 1.
9. Public comment on non-agenda items.
10. Discuss the commercial Dungeness crab trap limit program as referenced in the 2019-2021 DCTF Work Plan including, but not limited to, biannual versus annual trap tags, in-season replacement tags, the biannual permit fee, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations related to amending FGC 8276.5, the Dungeness crab trap limit program including, but not limited to the replacement of biannual trap tags with annual trap tags, modification of in-season replacement tags, etc.
11. Discuss priority Tri-State and California Dungeness crab fishery items as informed by Day 1 agenda.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations related to Tri-state and California commercial Dungeness crab fishery updates, including but not limited to, DCTF administration, Dungeness crab fishery management measures, policy statements, requests for information, preseason quality testing protocols, domoic acid/Biotoxin Management Areas, line marking, etc.
12. Updates on the work of the Executive Committee including, but not limited to, relevant available data to inform industry discussions, the 96-hour gear servicing requirement, and the ability to sell crab when retrieving gear with an in-season waiver.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible confirmation of priority items for the Executive Committee’s consideration.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible modification of the DCTF Executive Committee, membership.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations related to available data, modification of the 96-hour gear servicing requirement, and/or the ability to sell crab when retrieving gear with an in-season waiver.
13. Review next steps
*Agenda items and related action items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the DCTF Administrative Team. Every effort will be made to address all items on the agenda. However, the DCTF may postpone certain discussions or actions due to time limitations or the need to revisit topics with their constituents before moving an item forward.
Limited copies of meeting materials will be provided at the meeting and will be posted to the DCTF website as soon as they are available.
Public Participation and Comment: Members of the public will be invited to provide comment following each agenda item. Additional information about providing public comment is available online at http://bit.ly/2IFdOv4. To request an item to be added to a future meeting agenda, please review the guidelines online: http://bit.ly/2s45Wfw.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to email@example.com or 805-845-9852. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this DCTF meeting should contact Rachelle Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-845-9852) no later than five days prior to the meeting.
For more information about the DCTF and a meeting summary please visit the DCTF website at http://www.opc.ca.gov/2009/04/dungeness-crab-task-force/.