Dungeness Crab Task Force Meeting #9 – October 16-17, 2019 – Santa Rosa
- To identify and address California Dungeness Crab Task Force (DCTF) administration, including introducing new Members, confirming the DCTF Charter and draft 2019-21 work plan, updating DCTF Executive Committee participation, etc.
- To receive updates relevant to the Dungeness crab industry and ensure all Members have access to information that may inform DCTF deliberations during this meeting.
- To discuss high priority topics including, but not limited to, domoic acid management response, active legislation, marine life entanglements, preseason quality testing, etc. with the intent to identify priorities and recommendations to be forwarded via a report to the Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), and the Fish and Game Commission.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019 9:00 am
1. Welcome, introductions, and agenda review.
2. Public comment on non-agenda items.
3. Review and discuss the DCTF Charter and draft 2019-21 DCTF work plan to confirm DCTF priorities, administration and operations, review protocols for adding items to DCTF meeting agendas.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible adoption of amendments to the DCTF Charter and 2019-21 draft DCTF Work Plan.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations to the Legislature, Ocean Protection Council (OPC) and/or CDFW regarding DCTF administration and operations.
4. Presentation and discussion on California commercial Dungeness crab fishery including, but not limited to, the Dungeness crab trap tag account, lost fishing gear recovery program, new fishery regulations (e.g., vessel length restrictions), California’s preseason quality testing standards, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible recommendations related to CDFW updates, which may include, but will not be limited to, requests for information, and California’s preseason quality testing standards.
5. Receive updates from CDFW on the status of marine life entanglements and considerations for the Dungeness crab fishery, including, but not limited to, the California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group’s efforts, expectations for fishery operations in the 2019-20 season, development of a Conservation Plan and application for an Incidental Take Permit, and Section 6 funding opportunities.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations related to marine life entanglements in the Dungeness crab fishery and related management processes.
6. Updates on the status of domoic acid testing and discussion of management and response including, but not limited to identifying biotoxin management zones, considering the utility of and legal framework for implementing evisceration orders with support from Department of Public Health staff, providing guidance on domoic acid research priorities, etc.
7. Review agenda topics for Day 2
Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:30 am
1. Welcome and recap of Day 1
2. Public comment on non-agenda items.
3. Review relevant active legislation, including, but not limited to AB 1472 (Dungeness Crab Commission), and discuss positions or consider recommendations related to potential regulatory and legislative needs (e.g., fair start).
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of letter(s) of support and/or recommendations for amendments to active legislation and rulemaking packages (e.g., AB 1472), and/or for new legislation or regulatory changes including, but not limited to, changes to fair start regulations, trap tags, etc.
4. Continued discussion from Day 1 including, but not limited to, those related to domoic acid, Tri-State issues, and marine life entanglements.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations of Dungeness crab fishery management measures or policy statements related to topics including, but not limited to, biotoxin management zones, evisceration orders, Tri-State crab quality testing protocols, and opportunities to advise on decision-making, etc.
5. Continued discussion on the DCTF’s administration, including, but not limited to, updating the Executive Committee membership.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible modification of the DCTF Executive Committee, membership.
6. Public comment on non-agenda items
7. Review next steps
*Agenda items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the DCTF Administrative Team and voting on a specific agenda item may be carried over to the second day of the meeting. Every effort will be made to address all items on the agenda. However, the DCTF may postpone certain discussions or actions due to time limitations or the need to revisit topics with their constituents before moving an item forward.
Limited copies of meeting materials will be provided at the meeting and will be posted to the DCTF website as soon as they are available.
Public Participation and Comment: Members of the public will be invited to provide comment following each agenda item; an opportunity to provide public comment on non-agenda topics will be made available on each day of the meeting. Additional information about provide public comment is available online at http://bit.ly/2IFdOv4. To request an item to be added to a future meeting agenda, please review the guidelines online: http://bit.ly/2s45Wfw.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-845-9852. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this DCTF meeting should contact Rachelle Fisher (email@example.com or 805-845-9852) no later than five days prior to the meeting.
For more information about the DCTF and a meeting summary please visit the DCTF website at https://opc.ca.gov/2009/04/dungeness-crab-task-force/.