Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program (RAMP)
Since September 2015, the California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group (Working Group) has been taking steps to actively identify and be responsive to elevated risks of whale entanglements in California Dungeness crab fishing gear. This unique coalition of diverse stakeholders—which includes commercial and recreational fishermen, environmental organization representatives, members of the whale entanglement response network and state and federal agencies—is committed to developing solutions that support thriving whale populations along the West Coast and a thriving and profitable Dungeness crab fishery. For a Fact Sheet about the Working Group and other background information, visit the California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group webpage.
Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program (RAMP)
A Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program (RAMP) has been developed by the Working Group to assess circumstances where entanglement risk may be elevated and, as needed, identify a possible management measures for the CDFW’s Director’s consideration (see Senate Bill 1309 here.) The program is designed to be flexible and responsive to considering new information, technologies, and approaches to reducing the risk of entanglements.
All RAMP related discussions, risk assessments, and recommendations developed by the Working Group will be posted on this webpage and circulated via the Working Group’s email distribution list. If you are interested in receiving these updates via email, please contact email@example.com. The Working Group welcomes your feedback and insights on the RAMP – visit http://www.opc.ca.gov/whale-entanglement-working-group or contact the Working Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Throughout the 2019-20 commercial Dungeness crab season, the Working Group will assess marine life entanglement risk and forward management recommendations to the Director of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
The Working Group will convene on December 4, 2019 from 11am-12pm to report out on any new information and/or updated Working Group recommendation(s). Please see the agenda for meeting details.
- December 4, 2019 Meeting Agenda
The Working Group convened on October 31, 2019, to discuss updated information (see October 31, 2019 Meeting Materials below) and provided a minority recommendation to CDFW as a supplement to the Working Group’s October 15, 2019 recommendation.
- October 31, 2019 Meeting Agenda
- October 31, 2019 Meeting Materials
- Please visit CDFW’s Whale Safe Fisheries webpage for CDFW Director’s determinations or documents linked below:
The Working Group conducted a risk assessment and recommendation on October 15, 2019.
- October 15, 2019 Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- October 15, 2019 Meeting Materials (PDF)
- October 15, 2019 Working Group recommendation (PDF)
- Please visit CDFW’s Whale Safe Fisheries webpage for CDFW Director’s determinations.
2018-19 RAMP Risk Assessments
- Evaluation Team Advisory – March 19, 2019
- 2018-19 RAMP Evaluation Team Assessment – January 11, 2019
- 2018-19 RAMP Preseason Assessment – October 30 & November 6, 2018
- 2018-19 RAMP Midseason Assessment – February 14, 2019
- 2018-19 RAMP Overview
- Draft RAMP Guiding Principles (updated August 2018)
- Draft 2018-19 RAMP Assumptions
- Draft Management Measures Toolbox (MMT) (updated August 2018)
2017-18 RAMP Reflections and Lessons Learned
- 2017-18 RAMP Pilot Reflections and Lessons Learned, July 2018
- 2017-18 RAMP Pilot Draft Risk Assessment Framework Key Findings, August 2018
PDFs of Status Updates & Recommendations:
- RAMP Pilot Post-Season Risk Assessment and Evaluation Team Update – July 2018
- RAMP Pilot Risk Assessment & Evaluation Team Update – June 2018
- RAMP Pilot Risk Assessment and Evaluation Team Update – March 2018
- 2017-2018 Updates & Recommendations to Reduce Risk of Whale Entanglements – January 10, 2018
- RAMP Pilot Risk Assessment and Evaluation Team Update – January 3, 2018
- RAMP Pilot Aerial Survey Update – December 2017
- RAMP Pilot Evaluation Team Update – November 30, 2017
- RAMP Pilot Pre-Season Risk Assessment and Evaluation Team Update – October 26 & November 6, 2017
- For information on the General Fund allocation to OPC to address whale and sea turtle entanglement, please visit the General Fund webpage.
- CDFW Whale Safe Fisheries webpage
- CDFW Guidance for Testing Trap Fishing Gear Modifications (June 2019)
- Solar Logger Pilot Project Overview: Informing the Risk Assessment and Mitigation Program (RAMP) of the California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group
Contact the Working Group at email@example.com
Ocean Protection Council
- Paige Berube: firstname.lastname@example.org
Facilitation Team: Strategic Earth Consulting