Dungeness Crab Task Force Meetings – June 5-6, 2018 – Ukiah
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 8:30 AM
Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 8:00 AM
Ukiah Valley Conference Center, Cabernet II Room
200 S School Street, Ukiah, CA 95482
- Review and confirm a work plan to outline Dungeness Crab Task Force (DCTF) activities in 2018-19.
- Identify and address DCTF administrative needs in 2018, including, but not limited to, filling appointed DCTF Member seats, updating DCTF Executive Committee membership, and considering commercial fishing elections.
- Discuss and inform the California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (CDFW) participation in the 2018 Tri-State Dungeness Crab Committee Meeting, including, but not limited to, preseason crab quality testing and consideration of crab quality testing in the Central Management Area.
- Review and provide feedback on regulatory language, including, but not limited to, the Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Program, Senate Bills (SB) 1309 and 1310, and other anticipated CDFW rulemaking.
- Identify recommendation(s) to be forwarded to the Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture, CDFW, and the Fish and Game Commission.
Tuesday, June 5, 2018 8:30am*
- Welcome, introductions, agenda review
- Public comment on non-agenda items
- Presentation and discussion on California commercial Dungeness crab fishery management and associated regulations.
- Review, discuss, and possibly update the draft 2018-19 DCTF Work Plan, including identifying priority topics for future agenda items (e.g., disaster relief, domoic acid), confirming protocols for adding items to DCTF meeting agendas, and reviewing the outcomes of previous DCTF recommendations (e.g SB 1310).
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible adoption of a final 2018-19 DCTF Work Plan.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of letter(s) of support for SB 1310.
- Discuss and consider updates to the DCTF’s administration, including, but not limited to, identifying a timeline for filling vacant appointed seats, updating the Executive Committee membership, and considering new commercial fishing elections.
Administrative Vote: Consideration and possible modification of the Executive Committee, including, but not limited to, the membership.
- Review and discuss amendments to Fish and Game Code Section 9002.5 related to the Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Program through SB 1309 and draft Title 14 regulations.
- Review and discuss Tri-State protocols, including, but not limited to, California crab quality and domoic acid testing protocols and as they relate to Oregon and Washington, modifications to the season opener, fair start regulations, and considerations for crab quality testing in the Central Management Area.
- Review and discuss the status of whale entanglements in the Dungeness crab fishery, including, but not limited to, the California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group’s efforts to reduce entanglement risk, SB 1309, and proposed rulemaking related to whale entanglement mitigation efforts.
Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:00am*
- Welcome and recap of Day 1
- Public comment on non-agenda items
- Continued discussion on Tri-State issues.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations of Dungeness crab fishery management measures or policy statements related to topics including, but not limited to, Tri-State crab quality and domoic acid testing protocols, season opener dates, fair start regulations, California testing locations, etc.
- Continued discussion on whale entanglement issues and related active legislation and rulemaking.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of letter(s) of support and/or recommendations for amendments to active legislation and rulemaking packages, including, but not limited to, SB 1309.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations related to whale entanglements and/or the California Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group.
- Continued discussion on Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Program draft regulations.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendations to CDFW on Lost Fishing Gear Recovery Program regulations.
- Revisit discussion on DCTF administrative needs, including, but not limited to, commercial fishing elections, Executive Committee membership, the 2018-19 Work Plan.
- Review next steps
*Agenda items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the DCTF Administrative Team. Every effort will be made to address all items on the agenda. However, the DCTF may postpone certain discussions or actions due to time limitations or the need to revisit topics with their constituents before moving an item forward.
Limited copies of meeting materials will be provided at the meeting and will be posted to the DCTF website as soon as they are available.
Public Participation and Comment: Members of the public will be invited to provide comment following each agenda item; an opportunity to provide public comment on non-agenda topics will be made available on each day of the meeting. Additional information about provide public comment is available online at http://bit.ly/2IFdOv4. To request an item to a be added to a future meeting agenda, please review the guidelines online: http://bit.ly/2s45Wfw.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-845-9852. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this DCTF meeting should contact Rachelle Fisher (email@example.com or 805-845-9852) no later than five days prior to meeting.
For more information about the DCTF and a meeting summary please visit the DCTF website at http://www.opc.ca.gov/2009/04/dungeness-crab-task-force/.