DCTF Meeting Agenda Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM Wednesday and October 26, 2016 at 8:00 AM
Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM
Wednesday, October 26, 2016 at 8:00 AM
Ukiah Valley Conference Center, Cabernet II Room
200 S School Street, Ukiah, CA 95482
- To discuss and potentially provide recommendations related to the long-term vision of an industry-representative body to support the Dungeness crab fishery.
- To discuss and potentially provide recommendations to inform current issues related to the Dungeness crab fishery, including, but not limited to, the evaluation of the California commercial Dungeness crab trap limit program, the Dungeness Crab Account, Senate Bill (SB) 1287 and the California Dungeness crab lost fishing gear recovery program, whale entanglements in Dungeness crab fishing gear, domoic acid and harmful algal blooms, and the spring fishery.
- To identify recommendations to be forwarded to the Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the Fish and Game Commission via the Dungeness Crab Task Force’s (DCTF) legislatively mandated January 15, 2017 report.
Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:30am
1. Welcome, introductions, agenda review
2. Update on the California commercial Dungeness crab trap limit program evaluation, including a presentation of data related to the California Dungeness crab fishery. DCTF discussions may include, but will not be limited to, evaluation and review of commercial Dungeness crab fishery and trap limit program, status of the Dungeness Crab Account, addressing program loopholes, status of initial trap limit program recommendations provided to the Legislature in 2015, and crab quality.
Speakers: Carrie Pomeroy, California Sea Grant/DCTF Member, and Pete Kalvass and Steve Riske, California Department of Fish and Wildlife
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendation(s) related to the Dungeness crab commercial fishery including, but not limited to, monitoring and evaluation of the commercial Dungeness crab trap limit program, management of the Dungeness Crab Account, the fishing season, printing of trap tags, and general Dungeness crab fishery management.
3. Discussion of an industry-representative organization for the Dungeness crab fishery to inform Dungeness crab fishery management and address other industry priorities beyond the DCTF’s sunset in 2017. DCTF discussions may include, but will not be limited to, organizational structure, funding, and other operational considerations. Action may be taken on this agenda item on Day 2.
4. Update on the status and next steps of the California Dungeness crab lost fishing gear recovery program as outlined in Senate Bill 1287, including timing of implementation, framework, costs associated with the program, etc.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of recommendation(s) for the California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s review to inform the development of a California Dungeness crab lost fishing gear recovery program.
5. General public comment
Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:00am
6. Welcome and recap of Day 1
7. Updates from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, California Department of Public Health, and the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment on topics including, but not limited to, domoic acid and pre-season crab quality testing.
8. Continued discussion of an industry-representative organization for the Dungeness crab fishery.
ACTION: Consideration and possible adoption of a recommendation regarding a long-term Dungeness crab industry-representative organization, including, but not limited to, the organization’s structure, funding, other operational considerations, and identification of priority topics for the organization to address.
9. Review and discussion of the recommendations and next steps generated by the Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group to reduce the risk of whale entanglements during the 2016-17 fishing season, and beyond.
ACTION: Consideration and possible support for recommendation(s) related to the Dungeness Crab Fishing Gear Working Group’s recommendations/next steps and overall efforts. Guidance on ideas for the Working Group’s consideration and other items may also be provided.
10. General public comment
11. Next steps
Agenda items may be taken out of order at the discretion of the DCTF Administrative Team. Limited copies of meeting materials will be provided at the meeting and will be posted to the DCTF website as soon as they are available.
Public Participation and Comment: Members of the public will be invited to provide comment following each agenda item; an opportunity to provide public comment on non-agenda topics will also be made available on each day of the meeting. To provide public comment, please fill out a “Request to Speak” card, which will be located at the entrance to the meeting room. A meeting summary will be made available via the DCTF website.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to email@example.com or 805-845-9852. Any person who has a disability and requires reasonable accommodation to participate in this DCTF meeting should contact Rachelle Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-845-9852) no later than five days prior to meeting.
For more information about the DCTF please visit the DCTF website at http://www.opc.ca.gov/2009/04/dungeness-crab-task-force/