Ocean Protection Council Meeting — September 17, 2020 — Teleconference
OPC Meeting Agenda
Thursday, September 17, 2020
1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Due to the COVID-19 public health orders, and in accordance with the Governor’s Executive Orders N-29-20 and N-33-20, this meeting will be held remotely by teleconference.
To join the meeting via Zoom or by phone, please click here to register.
OPC is committed to ensuring that our public meetings are accessible and that members of the public can participate by providing written and oral comment on Council matters. For instructions on public participation in OPC virtual meetings, click here and see below.
1. Welcome, Introductions and Council Member Announcements
Secretary Crowfoot, Council Chair
2. Introduction and Report from the Executive Director
Mark Gold, Executive Director
3. Report from the Science Advisor
Liz Whiteman, Executive Director, Ocean Science Trust
- OPC SAT Position Statement: The Ocean Will Help California Recover (August 2020)
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 1: Safeguard Coastal and Marine Ecosystems and Communities in the Face of Climate Change; Objective 1.1: Build Resiliency to Sea-Level Rise, Coastal Storms and Flooding
4. Action Item: Consideration of Authorization to Disburse Funds for Implementation of a Statewide Sea-Level Rise Communications Strategy
Justine Kimball, Senior Program Manager
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 4: Support Ocean Health Through a Blue Economy; Objective 4.2: Promote Sustainable Aquaculture
5. Action Item: Consideration of Authorization to Disburse Funds to Develop a Statewide Aquaculture Action Plan
Paige Berube, Program Manager
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 1: Safeguard Coastal and Marine Ecosystems and Communities in the Face of Climate Change and Goal 3: Enhance Coastal and Marine Biodiversity; Objective 1.1: Build Resiliency to Sea-Level Rise, Coastal Storms and Flooding and Objective 3.1: Protect and Restore Coastal Marine Ecosystems
6. Action Item: Consideration and Possible Adoption of a Resolution Supporting Updates to the National Marine Fisheries Service’s California Eelgrass Mitigation Policy
Whitney Berry, Program Manager
Advancing Strategic Plan Goal 3: Enhance Coastal and Marine Biodiversity; Objective 3.4: Improve Coastal and Ocean Water Quality
7. Discussion Item: Talking Trash: Identifying Policy Solutions to Address Plastic Pollution in California’s Coastal and Marine Ecosystems
Holly Wyer, Program Manager
8. Public Comment on Non-Agenda Items
9. Arrangements for Next Meeting and Adjournment
December 15, 2020; location TBD
Agenda items may be re-ordered at the discretion of the Council Chair.
Providing Public Comment:
Written Comments: Written comments should be sent to COPCpublic@resources.ca.gov by 5pm on September 15, 2020. If you are writing about an item on the Council’s agenda, please include the item number in the email subject line. If you are writing with a general comment, please include a brief title for your comment.
Oral Comments: For each item on the agenda and at the end of the public meeting on non-agenda items, the OPC Chair will ask whether there are any requests for public comment. If you want to provide oral comments on a specific agenda item, you will need to “Raise your hand” during the Zoom meeting. *If calling into the meeting from a telephone, you can use “Star (*) 9” to raise/ lower your hand.
Once your hand is raised and it is your turn to speak, the meeting facilitator will unmute you, announce your name, and you will be able to make your public comment to the Council. *Depending on how you have called in, you may also need to unmute yourself.
A speaker’s time allotment is at the discretion of the Chair but generally limited to three minutes. It is strongly recommended, though not required, that public comments be submitted in writing beforehand so they can be distributed to all Council members for review prior to the meeting. After your public comment, your hand will be lowered and you will be placed back on mute.
Questions about the meeting or agenda can be directed to Jenn Eckerle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any person who has a disability and requires accommodation to participate in this council meeting should contact Ms. Eckerle no later than five days prior to the meeting.