The California Ocean Litter Strategy Project
This webpage provides information on the implementation of the California Ocean Litter Strategy. The Ocean Litter Strategy was jointly developed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Marine Debris Program and the California Ocean Protection Council. The Ocean Litter Strategy outlines actions that stakeholders and OPC can take from 2018 through 2024 to prevent and reduce ocean litter in California.
During the development of the Ocean Litter Strategy, participants agreed to the following implementation structure:
- Every six months: Check-in webinars or conference calls
- Every two years: In-person meetings to assess progress and address challenges in Strategy implementation
- After six years: Update the Strategy
This site includes information on Strategy implementation, progress reporting, and how to get involved. If you would like to receive emails about the implementation process and upcoming webinars or events, please subscribe to OPC’s general email announcements and California Ocean Litter Strategy project email announcements.
About the Strategy & Agency Leads
California Ocean Litter Strategy Webinar
The agenda and recording from the November 17, 2022 webinar is now available.
Past meeting recordings and webinar slides are available on the Project Resources page.
Ocean Litter Strategy Workgroup Updates
The Ocean Litter Strategy Stakeholders have developed workgroups centering around each of the six goals in the Strategy. Upcoming workgroup meetings are scheduled for early 2023.
- Goal 1 and 2: Source Reduction – Policies and Incentives, EPR, and Changes in Product Design
Wednesday, February 22, 2023 (10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. PST)
- Goal 3: Waste Management and Interception on Land
Tuesday, March 7, 2023 (10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. PST)
- Goal 4: Research Existing and Emerging Issues
Thursday, February 23, 2023 (1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. PST)
- Goal 5: Behavior Change and Consumer Education
Wednesday, March 15, 2023 (1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. PST)
- Goal 6: Ocean-based Debris Prevention and Cleanup
Friday, March 10, 2023 (10:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. PST)
If you are interested in getting involved in a workgroup, please contact Kaitlyn Kalua (Kaitlyn.Kalua@resources.ca.gov) and Christy Kehoe (Christy.Kehoe@noaa.gov)